A week ago I collected black walnuts so I could try dyeing fabric with them.
The results are interesting, if not very pretty, and I found you can make some brown fabrics fairly easily.
You can look back to the blogs from October 6 and 7 to see the process.
The piece on the left came from the bucket that had the "rinse water" in it. The piece on the right was in the bucket that had the liquid created by combining hot water with the husks from the walnuts. This liquid looked much darker, and I assumed the fabric would turn out darker accordingly -- but that didn't happen. I can see very little difference in the two pieces.
I think these two pieces have more interest and now I wish I had made more of them. I made them by wrapping them around the husks that were left over after pouring out the liquid in the kettle.
I saved the nuts, and once I get them cracked open, I think there will be a black walnut cake in our future.
Thanks to Kathy Loomis for the inspiration to try this!
The studio was built by New Energy Works (Timberframers, Housewrights & Joiners) as an addition to the west end of our existing house. The timberframe structure is 23 x 33' and was built using reclaimed douglas fir timbers. The interior cabinetry was made from reclaimed rustic beech, and the countertops
from Australian Jarrah wood. The construction started in April, and we moved into the studio in August 2007.