Saturday, August 1, 2009

Blue Moons


A quilting saga.....

These are some blocks that I made 2 or 3 years ago that were the start of the "Night & Day" quilt.

I had started a second top with some more of the blocks, but never finished it.

I recently resurrected it and finished assembling it. Then I loaded it on the longarm quilting machine.










I started quilting it with Sulky 12 wt thread and liked the looks of the variegated colors. But the thread kept breaking and after 4 hours of fighting with it, I hadn't completed the first row!

I've had pretty good luck in the past with corrective measures such as changing the top and bobbin tensions, changing the tension on the fabric, re-threading, putting in a new needle, trying a different spool, etc.









But since nothing seemed to work and many of the thread tension adjustments resulted in loose thread on the back, it was time to give up!

We won't talk about how many hours it took to pick it out.....









A change in thread provided the solution!!

The 35 wt Valdani thread didn't break once -- WooHoo!!

The working title choices for this piece so far are Black & Blue Moons or Blue Moons.

56" w X 68"h




Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

QuilterB said...

Very nice piece. Really keeps your eye moving both ways. But it is your old palette!